The slides above are designed to introduce you to theSpace Voyage leadership sayings or Axioms. Space Voyage Axioms form the foundation for success and sound leadership. This list of axioms developed over time, with new ones added as a new concept was identified and described.
They have been described as: "The Stuff Every Great Leader Knows."
The dictionary definitions of Axiom include:
1. A self-evident truth that requires no proof.
2. A universally accepted principle or rule.
3 Logic, Mathematics; a proposition that is assumed
without proof for the sake of studying the
consequences that follow from it.
The Space Voyage definition of an Axiom is:
"A formal statement that serves as leadership guidelines, behaviors, attitudes and values."
The of the Axioms below and the images above represent key concepts that are used to teach leadership and management concepts to cadets wishing to become leaders at Space Voyage. Space Voyage Instructors use them every day at camp and in their lives. A page, chapter or even a book could be written on each Axiom. New Axioms are discovered each summer, and after discussion in the leadership group, are added to the list. What Axiom do you think is missing or should be added? #32 was inspired by Flight Director Dylan, as Dr. Palmere heard him explain what Space Voyage was to visitors in the Space Voyage pavilion.
SPACE VOYAGE AXIOMS ( pdf version ) [For a Flash Cards pdf to help learn the Space Voyage Axioms click here]
1. Do your best, do good things, achieve.
2. Anticipate what needs to be done, and do it.
3. Report status.
4. Communicate with the program directors; Stay in Touch.
5. Communicate what you need.
6. When in doubt, ask.
7. Push, don't wiggle.
8. Help all cadets have as much fun as possible, and also fulfill.
9. Nobody said it was easy but they did say it was fun.
(Or, Nobody said it was easy, but they did say it was worthwhile.)
10. Put your "Butt" on the chair and your feet on the floor.
11. "We have a criticality on flight deck two!"
12. A clean ship is a happy ship.
13. I reserve the right to change my mind.
14. Expand to handle it.
15. His hair is on fire. (Or, Her hair is on fire.)
16. You can learn a lot by just observing, and then trying.
17. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. It won't happen again.
18. Work Hard, play hard. When you work, work hard. When you play, play hard.
But when you work, you do not play at all.
19. Failure is valued as part of the learning process, a chance to start over.
20. Use strengths to overcome weaknesses.
21. You cannot force growth anymore than you can force a plant to grow or a flower to bloom.
22. I can respect that.
23. Communication is king.
24. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink?
Add a salt block near the trough and watch.
25. Are you waiting for a bus?
26. Trust the process, enjoy the journey.
27. Just eat that frog.
28. Put "Black & Yellow" on the Hot List!
29. Please help me or step out of the way. Thank you.
30. Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.
31. On my honor as a Space Voyage Cadet, I will work to achieve as many scientific breakthroughs as I can,
given the time and resources available to me.
32. Life Should be one part Disney World, and one part Santa's House, without the waits.